Monday, October 19, 2009

Italian Wedding Soup



I usually buy this soup canned and have always wanted to try and make it. The difference of fresh is so noticeable. I found a recipe online here. This recipe is awesome...simple, flavorful, and the turkey meatballs are soooo good. My husband doesn't like soup so he picked out meatballs to munch on and said they were delicious. I forgot to pick up parsley so I was missing that ingredient and the soup was still amazing. Next time I will make the meatballs smaller so I can have one with each bite. I used turkey meat instead of chicken which is the only change I made. I loved getting a big gob of half melted Parmesan cheese too. Thanks to the Boatwright family for a great recipe. :-)


My 4 year old helped me make the meatballs. She loves to help me cook. These meatballs were sooo sooo good that I am thinking to make subs with them. :-)


Italian Wedding Soup

Meatballs:
1 lb. ground turkey breast
2/3 c bread crumbs
1/3 c water
1/4 c grated Parmesan
1/4 c chopped parsley
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tsp salt
pepper to taste
3 Tbsp olive oil

Soup:
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 lb spinach or escarole
8 c chicken broth
1 c small pasta (I used orzo)

For the meatballs, put the bread crumbs and water into a large bowl to rehydrate the bread crumbs. Add the other ingredients except for the olive oil and mix well. Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Form small meatballs and cook in the pan, turning often, until browned and cooked through. Remove meatballs from pan onto platter. Add the onion, celery, and carrot to the pan, stirring until tender - about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper. Stir in the spinach or escarole until just wilted. Add the chicken broth and simmer. Add the turkey meatballs, cover and cook 5minutes. Add the pasta and cook until al dente - another 10 minutes or so on simmer. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Shave large shards of Parmesan to garnish.

YUMMMMMMMMM!

(Meatballs while cooking)

7 comments:

  1. One of my very most favorite soups.. it looks fantastically delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Italian Wedding Soup and yours look delicious! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my faves...I definately have to start making more soups!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great. I love using turkey in my recipes. Your meatballs look and sound delicious.

    Ramona

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so yummy!! One of my favorite soups!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Thank you for stopping by my blog and saying hello! This is one of my favorite soups! Yours looks delicious (and healthy with the turkey!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my favorite soups! Just came across your wonderful blog and am a new follower!!!
    - Jessica
    http://cajunlicious.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete